In order to plan your trip so that it will become best memories, it is necessary to consider the time to go to Halong Bay. In general, visitors can go to Halong Bay during the whole year round. However, please be noticed that there are storms develop in the bay in some months.
Regarding the weather
There are two distinctive seasons in Halong Bay: the wet and hot summer and a cooler and dry winter.
The seasons tend to fall with the following months:
- Spring – March, April and May
- Summer – June, July and August
- Autumn – September, October and November
- Winter – November, January, and February
Although the probabilities are not high, travelers should be aware that between August and October it is usually considered as typhoon season. Another note is that Halong Bay can be rather foggy from February through April. Some may like the fog as it adds mystique to the area, whereas others may find this distracting as they wish to see more of the islands.
Regarding the occasions and cultural activities:
- Tet Nguyen Dan (Lunar New Year)– This is the biggest festival and New Year in Vietnam which happens around late January or early February of the year. Vietnamese people consider it as the most important occasions in the year. Homes and streets are usually seen decorated with colorful lights and flowers, families exchange gifts and the streets are filled with stalls that sell traditional foods
- Mid-Autumn Festival– This festival occurred every 15th day of the 8th Lunar month (15/09/2016). Children parade on the streets, while singing and carrying colorful lanterns of different sizes. Some of the popular shapes include fishes, stars, butterflies and a lantern that spins when a candle is inserted, representing the earth circling the sun.Dances are also traditional, and include the dragon dance and the flower dance.It is customary to give Banh Trung Thu, boxes of moon cakes, which are traditionally very rich in taste. The cakes are filled with lotus seeds, ground beans and orange peels and have a bright yoke in the center to represent the moon. Today, the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival, as well as encouraging affection for children, promotes education, poetry, dance and arts and crafts.
It is important and necessary to know the time of these events before planning. Some tourists look for these events to experience special aspects of other cultures. Deciding to travel or book Halong tours and cruises during one of these festivals is your choice, but making you aware is important.